Monday, August 1, 2011

2011-2012 Homeschool Curriculum Plans

This year I am participating in the "Not" Back to School Blog Hop  hosted by Heart of the Matter. This week is Curriculum week so I am sharing all of my plans for the upcoming year!
I have completed all of the lesson plans for Amelia's 1st Grade homeschool curriculum for the entire year. I have organized it by week in a file crate so that I will have everything we need (workbooks, worksheets, books etc...) at my fingertips. I don't have a picture yet, but I will post one when I get it done. I also have my library book lists completed and saved on the library website so I can just request all the books I need for the month without any hunting.

Language Arts and Math
For Language Arts and Math we will be using Christian Light Education. I have high hopes for this curriculum choice and hope it will be one we can use for years to come. It is very well laid out and each subject contains 10 workbooks. I have read many reviews and have heard that this curriculum is very organized, thorough, and requires the child to use critical thinking skills. It is also a "back-to-basics" curriculum, so it puts a strong emphasis on memorization of math facts and grammar usage. Beginning in 2nd grade, the workbooks teach directly to the child so they can begin to take responsibility for their own learning with mom close by whenever needed.
Science
In science, we will be doing a year-long study of the human body. I got the plans for this study for free here, and I think it will be a great introduction to the human body for Amelia and Ella and includes weekly topics such as the five senses, cells, lungs, skeletal system, the brain, and many others. The topic will be explored through the following resources along with lots of library books that correlate with the topics:

History
We will be studying Ancient Times following the Story of the World (SOTW) resources pictured below. This volume begins with the earliest nomads and continues to the fall of Rome. This curriculum was written for 1st-4th graders in mind. Each week we will listen to the audio recording of a chapter in the book and participate in various activities throughout the week that go along with it such as coloring sheets, map work, hands-on crafts and activities, and additional picture books.

Geography
We will be going through the Evan Moore 1st grade Geography workbook which includes lots of different mapping experiences including:
  • Globes
  • Directions
  • Map keys
  • Physical maps
  • Street maps
  • Farm, town, city, and state maps
  • Park and zoo maps
  • Product maps
  • Tourist and weather maps
  • Political maps of the United States and the world
Have a great school year everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Love CLE. This will be our second year with it and I'm still as happy with it as I was the first year we used it. I love the Learning to Read too. It reminds me of K12's reading program but with more. It has everything I want and I couldn't ask for a better reading program ( and I've used many).

    ReplyDelete