This curriculum is designed for Pre-K/K and could be used over an entire school year. You may notice it has the flavor of several different curriculum sources including FIAR and Winter Promise: Animal Worlds. I had considered using these, but after much research I decided this year I would fly by the seat of my pants and create my own.
My key resources will be a world map (I am using a placemat size right now), a children's atlas, "Children Just Like Me", "Around the World in 80 Tales", "Wee Sing Around the World", and the "DK Animal Encyclopedia".
- Find the continent on the map and globe in relation to where we live; look up the continent in the atlas, briefly reading the captions and pointing out interesting facts.
- Introduce a country by reading a picture book about the area, color the countries' flag, create a picture tour of the country, and explore any other important concepts from the book. (Usually 2 countries per continent)
- Read some traditional stories from the continent.("Around the World in 80 Tales".)
- Listen to music from the area. ("Wee Sing Around the World", organized by continent).
- Do an art/craft using "Global Art" (which is organized by continent).
- Learn about the people of the area using "Children just Like Me".
- Focus on an animal habitat from that continent and learn about the animals who live there. Choose one animal to focus on and read about in the "DK Animal Encyclopedia".