Sunday, April 12, 2009

Healthy Snacks


Lately it seems that my kids never stop eating! I was brainstorming ideas on what to do about the constant snacking and then it came to me... fresh fruits and veggies in the fridge for anytime snacks. The key is preparation. As soon as the groceries are put away, I washed and prepared the fresh foods and stored them in containers . This week we have carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, seedless grapes, apples, pears, and celery with peanut butter. It has been going well so far. When the kids say they are hungry and it isn't snack or mealtime, I remind them of the fruits and veggies. I hate to say this is something new for me... but it is. I serve fruits and veggies with meals but not usually with such variety. I also realized I wasn't instilling a healthy mindset into my children by only serving crackers and cookies for snacks. I want my kids to realize fruits and veggies are great snacks too! Now, I'm no health nut...just look at my snack cabinet... but keeping a healthy balance is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment